Venus retrograde – July 2023 in the sign of Leo.
Venus, the planet of love, (seemingly) retrogrades approximately every 18 months.
From the 22nd of July till the 3rd of September, Venus goes (seemingly) retrograde, in the sign of Leo, for a period of forty days.
Venus Retrograde in Leo-
The sign of Leo carries a strong sense of pride, self confidence and creativity. This is powered by a certain dominant and dramatic flair. These qualities would tend to influence Venus during its time in this sign.
Venus symbolises art & beauty, love and relationships, values & social norms and possessions & passion.
Throughout the Venus Retrograde phase, all the Venus themes get activated in an intense way. These could be both heart-oriented and materially-oriented.
At this time, everything appears to come to the fore. Matters and feelings seem to get blown out of proportion or go topsy turvy in some way.
Venus Pre-Retrograde Shadow Period June 19th-July 22nd 2023-
The pre-retrograde shadow phase, when Venus enters the retrograde zone, begins on June 19th 2023.
All the Venus retrograde indications actually begin to be occur at this time. In some cases one may even begin to experience the events approximately 2 weeks prior to the pre-retrograde shadow phase.
The intensity of these matters would last through the entire retrograde period, including the pre & post- retrograde shadow phases.
Some of the ways these events play out in the pre-retrograde shadow phase, would be –
- In relationship matters, childhood patterns that have been deeply ingrained, surface in some way. Withheld emotions, that have not been adequately dealt with, arise forcibly. These emotions may get triggered during one’s interactions with loved ones, friends etc.
- New relationships begun may eventually need to be re-addressed. Something may not feel right. Perhaps a lack of trust and a questioning of one’s sincerity in the relationship may arise.
- Retrograde periods tend to take one back in time. Hence past relationships, either intimate or of a friendship nature, may suddenly appear. Any unresolved issues or feelings may re-surface as a result, creating a need to reconsider or reconcile the relationship one way or another.
Art & Beauty–
- In the area of beauty, any treatments or beautifying in any form may not turn out as one would desire. This would result in a feeling of disappointment or in a need to re-do or re-fix.
- In artistic endeavours, it would be an inspirational time. Yet one may see some form of change or revision occurring in some way.
Financial, Monetary matters & Material Possessions-
- One’s carefully planned or thought out budget may go a bit haywire at this time.
- Money spent may feel a bit wasted perhaps due to revisions or errors happening.
- Any form of financial planning may require revisions, changes etc.
- Purchases made would need to be returned or exchanged or perhaps do not serve the intended purpose. Some purchases may be indulgences, with one spending more than one desires.
Values, Social Norms-
- One’s values in life come up for re-assessment, and a re-thinking process begins to happen. This would also relate to prevailing social norms that would come up for questioning, with events perhaps instigating a change.
Hence, overall, this would appear to be a period of reversals, changes, re-evaluations, re-addressals, in all the areas mentioned.
Venus Retrograde July 22nd-September 3rd 2023-
When Venus slows down and stations retrograde on July 22nd, the energies get even more intensified. So one would need to be aware and prepared to deal with all the above matters, in their intensity.
How does one help oneself?
As Venus journeys (seemingly) backwards through the sign of Leo, it would be good to bask in Nature’s beauty. For Nature communicates equally with all beings irrespective of one’s seeming individuality.
One may say, this is where one’s calm and contentment would arise at this point in time.
Additionally, introspection and reflection would be the way to help oneself. For this period calls for addressing all suppressed emotions.
Allowing one’s suppressed feelings to arise and be released is key towards healing oneself. Initially it may be painful in some way. Yet, it would help to cleanse and heal all wounds that may have been festering for a while now.
Furthermore, this is a good time for creative pursuits and for inspiration. One’s creativity can rise to great heights during this period.
This is because the time is conducive for one to be focused within the heart-centre as opposed to the external events of life’s play.
The heart-centre is where the true inspiration lies.
Sri Ramana Maharishi says –
“The wise understand the apparent meaning of prajnana [consciousness] to be the mind, and its true meaning to be the Heart. The Supreme is not other than the Heart.”(Sri Ramana Gita, v. 18)
Venus Post-Retrograde Shadow Period September 3rd-October 7th 2023-
When Venus stations direct on September 3rd, matters of the heart again take on an intensity. (The most intense periods are when Venus stations retrograde and direct).
It is actually a time significant of relationships that may likely have a deep and lasting effect.
Hence, this period could indicate new and heartfelt relationships for some. For others it may be a time of letting go, as the Venus energy now symbolically begins to move forward.
On the creative side, something may come forth, something anew.
Additionally, after all the re-evaluations, one’s values and priorities would ideally be rightfully set in place.
Furthermore, financial/monetary matters begin to move forward hereafter.
This would also be a good time to beautify in any form. For the outcome would be more towards one’s desires than not.
Overall, all these matters begin to move forward at a natural rhythmic pace, once the post-retrograde shadow phase ends. (by October 7th – the time when Venus leaves the retrograde zone, or sometimes even approximately 2 weeks thereafter).
Understanding this time period-
For each one, on a personal level, the Venus Retrograde period may stress on a particular theme. This would depend on the configurations in one’s horoscope.
A very helpful way to understand this period would be to reflect on the previous Venus retrograde period, in the sign of Leo. This would be eight years prior, from July 25th to September 6th 2015.
Perhaps events from then may re-surface. Alternately, there may be some link that makes one understand the events of this time better.
Furthermore, one may go back even further to eight years prior to that and further back. This would be one of the ways to understand the events arising during these eight year Venus cycles.
“When plotted geocentrically – from an Earth-centered perspective – there is a highly noticeable rhythm in the motion of Venus. After eight years, it returns to the same place in our sky on about the same date. This is known as the eight-year cycle of Venus, and stems from the fact that 13 Venusian orbits (13 x 224.8 days) very nearly equals eight Earth years.”(Earthsky.org)
The movement of the planets in the skies is one of the ways to sight the workings of the universe. There are signs and symbols everywhere. One only needs to uncover their meaning to glimpse the Intelligence working behind the scenes…
The wise words of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, serves towards a deeper understanding –
“All happiness comes from awareness. The more we are conscious, the deeper the joy. Acceptance of pain, non-resistance, courage and endurance — these open deep and perennial sources of real happiness, true bliss.”
“By being with yourself, the ‘I am’; by watching yourself in your daily life with alert interest, with the intention to understand rather than to judge, in full acceptance of whatever may emerge, because it is there, you encourage the deep to come to the surface and enrich your life and consciousness with its captive energies. This is the great work of awareness; it removes obstacles and releases energies by understanding the nature of life and mind.”
“Everything has a beginning and an end and so does pleasure. Don’t anticipate and don’t regret, and there will be no pain. It is memory and imagination that cause suffering.”(I Am That – Nisargadatta Maharaj)